Thursday, March 06, 2008

CHRONICLES OF THE TRAVELLING SKATES - EISSCHNELLLAUFEN IN ERFURT, DEUTSCHLAND

Once more - thank you to my friend, The Travelling Skates, for this latest edition -

This past weekend, I packed my suitcase, with my skates of course, and headed to Germany to the most anticipated competition of the year: the 17th Masters International Speed Skating Games. The first edition was held in the 1991-1992 season in Frankfurt with only 20 skaters, mostly from Germany and the Netherlands. Now, this event attracts over 150 master skaters from all over the world. This year, this allround competition was held in Erfurt at the beautiful Gunda-Niemann-Stirnemann-Halle, built in 1997 and named after her, to honour her many speed skating medals and because she was one of the most successful German speed skater ever from that area.I arrived in Erfurt two days before the competition to get some ice time before my first race. This time, I did not suffer from jetlag coming from Belgium like my Canadian friends, but I guess, stress crept in and I woke up many many times. Racing started on Friday with the fast 500m for everyone. This first race is the most important one, if you are you too far behind, the chances that you move up the ranks are low. On the last day, only the top first half of each age class is allowed to compete the last and long distance. I have been attending this championships a few times already and for the first time, I did not qualify for the last race. I was disappointed since it is usually my best race. According to Volker Serini, the level of competition in all age classes has increased over the years and it was very obvious this year, especially for example in the Men 60+ and Women 40+. The Canadian delegation consisted of 12 skaters, 3 women and 9 men. Every Canadian skater skated well and some even had PBs.
The two Gagné brothers, Pierre on the left with Maurice. Pierre Gagné had a good weekend, finishing second overall in the Men 75+. As years go by, and as I am slowly getting older myself, I am always glad to watch older skaters perform well, which reminds me that speed skating is a great sport for all ages. This year, the patriarch was Arne Svanberg from Norway, who skated all distances in the men 80+.

Besides the good and fast ice, the skaters also enjoyed the city, well preserved and renovated with its pedestrian zone and many old buildings. The city is lively and buzzing in the centre and has many restaurants for all taste. I walked by myself one day, getting lost in the many small streets and I found by chance the house of my ancestors on my mother’s side: the Johann Sebastian Bach.
Sunday evening with the banquet and victory ceremony arrived quite fast after 3 days of intense racing. The games were well organised and went smoothly. I would like to thank the organisers for doing such a good job with always a smile for me! I went back home with great memories of this event and the new friends I made who share a common passion for this sport.

No comments: